Monday, January 30, 2012

Venice, Italy

Ahhh, Venice!  A place where if you walk anywhere, you know you will get lost, no map gives every street name, most streets change names at random points, and the vapertto can take you up and down the Grand Canal.  My first day I took the scenic ride down the canal just taking it all in, then it was off to St. Mark's square and Basilica.  I can just imagine the square packed with tourists and music.  It is such a different sight in the winter.  There were only a few people strolling about and those that were standing were finding patches of sun.  I could walk diagonally across the square without running into anyone.  You can't do that in the summer!

My next stop was the Doge's Palace - the place where the duke of Italy used to live.  The glass chandeliers were like nothing I had ever seen before.  Venice is known for its glass making and I can see why.  It is just beautiful!

The next day I went to the Rialto Bridge and walked through their open market.  Buying food out here is so different.  In the States many people go to a big supermarket and get everything they need in one place.  Out here the market is filled with individual stands, each one specializing in something.  You go to one stand for your fruit and veggies, another for fish, another for cheese, another for meats, and so on.  It's like a farmer's market everyday. 

Next up was a look at paintings by Bellini and Titian.  I am really liking Titian.  Then it was off to get lost in the back neighborhoods.  Wandering for the sake of wandering which is a little trickier while holding your own umbrella and trying to dodge others' umbrellas down the very narrow alleyways of Venice.  I just kept following the crowds of people knowing they would eventually lead me somewhere.  And they did, to the bus station.  As I spotted the buses and cars, I was hit with how out of place it all seemed.  I had just spent the last few days without a car in sight.  In Venice, you walk or take a boat, there are no cars.  They even have police and ambulance boats, trash barges, boats for freight, and of course the boats for people.  I knew this about Venice, but hadn't stopped to put two and two together until I was standing at the bus station.  Weird.

While Venice has been amazing, I can't wait to see more of Italy.  Verona is next on the list.  In the spirit of Romeo and Juliet I had to make this a stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment